dogapartment kayakoy
Kayakoy
Kayakoy, also known as the Ghost Town is a village 8 km south of Fethiye where Anatolian Greek speaking Christians lived until approximately 1923. It was originally built on the site of the ancient city of Carmylessus in the 15th century, renovated in 1856 after nearby Fethiye (then known as Makri) was devastated by an earthquake. In 1923, Kayakoy was largely abandoned after the population exchange between the Turkish and Greek people. In 1957, many of the buildings were damaged in the Fethiye earthquake. Today, the village serves as a museum and historical monument which comes under the protection of the Turkish government and adopted by UNESCO as a World Friendship and Peace Village.